Sunday 10 August 2008

Forest Burn fell race

Suitably recovered from Friday, I purged my sins by running this short 3.5 mile race at what should have been the Forest Burn show. However due the show-field being waterlogged by the Great British summer, the show had been cancelled. I had a reasonable run, overtaking Karen Robertson (NFR) on the second climb up Ward Hill, and just sneaking past Les Turnbull from Norham on the final run in. I had a slight altercation with a hawthorn bush (it won), and now have some impressive scratches on my leg. The race was won by Nick Swinburn in a course record. He is an England international, but I'm sure with a bit more training I still won't beat him next year. There's a report and more photos on the NFR website - link given opposite.

Here's a photo courtesy of Rob Stephens (NFR). It's taken just after the second rather deep crossing of the Forest Burn - hence the watery shot.


And another one of the start (race organiser Will Horsley issues instructions such as "watch out for that hawthorn bush") again courtesy of Rob Stephens.