Sunday 14 September 2014

We will remember them

Gordon Stuart Cameron
7th Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Killed in action 22nd August 1917.  No known grave, he is commemorated by name at Tyne Cot Memorial, Passchendaele, Belgium


On the 100th anniversary of The First World War, here is a photo and article prepared by Rev T for the display at Holy Saviour's Church.  Gordon Cameron was an older brother of Marjory Cameron [Granny Duff to most family readers]. He was Rev T's uncle and YC's great uncle.

The family have his letters home.  In the last, he says "I am quite well and expect to go in the trenches tonight. We will be going over the top in a day or so, so it is in providence's hands, dear knows if I come through it alright.  Don't look on the black side but I thought it best to warn you".

The next letter received was from his pal: "Dear Mrs Cameron, Just a few lines to express my sorrow, and let you know how Gordon was killed. We went into an attack on Wednesday morning. We got separated but I was told by a chap that saw him. He was wounded twice and died of his wounds. I thought it my duty to write and to let you know as I chummed with Gordon since I have been in the army and he was one of the nicest and best natured chaps I ever met. It cut me up awful much when I heard about it. Well I have explained as much as I know, and please accept the deepest sympathy from me, his chum".